Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

Avengers! Disassemble!

 I'm an Avengers fan.  And not just because of the movie, I've been an Avengers fan since I read my first Avengers comics back in the 1980's.  I'm an X-men fan too; but I'm far more an Avengers fan.  I even watched the sucky Iron Man and Avengers cartoons of the 90's, just because.

Recently Disney XD has announced it will replace the current Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes animated series with Avengers: Assemble.  Which means, of course, the current series will end.  And I'm bummed about it, because I'm really liking Avengers: EMH.

Look, I understand the Hollywood "need" to capitalize on a hit.  And I really liked The Avengers movie.  It's not very often I watch a 2+ hour movie, even one I like,  and it doesn't 'feel' like a 2+ hour movie.  But to think for one minute that those who were wowed by the Avengers movie, but didn't previously follow anything Avengers that wasn't on the big screen, are going to flock to this new series because it's "a show that more closely echoes the tone and the feel of the movie" (Marvel’s Jeph Loeb) is ridiculous.  It won't have the same actors voicing the characters and with it being animated and not (mostly) live action, like the movie is, a lot of casual viewers of the movie will be saying "no".

In the meantime, you have this great series going now.  The characters have bonded together through storylines involving classic villains like Ultron, Kang the Conqueror, the Skrulls, the Kree, A.I.M, Hydra, Dr. Doom, and yes, Loki.  It's introduced quintessential Avengers like Black Panther, Ms. Marvel, The Vision, and from day one has had The Wasp and Henry Pym (both Ant-man and his current Yellowjacket versions).  There was a recent episode with Power Man, Iron Fist, Wolverine, Spiderman, and War Machine.  There's back story enough from season one to bring in Black Widow and Mockingbird as well.  Heck, if they just bring in Henry "Beast" McCoy and this fanboy will positively (even more) giddy!

And in then end I don't think this:

Earth's Mightiest Heroes Cancelled Avengers Assemble 

Would draw any less off the movie than this:

Avengers Assemble Cartoon

I'm not saying I won't give the new series a chance.  I most definitely will.  It just seems a shame to end something that's good, just to start something that might be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment